My VBAC Birth Story | Vivienne

Our birth story with little miss didn’t go anything like it did with her older brother. In fact, it couldn’t have gone more differently.

You see, with Easton, I went to bed without any sign of impending labor, but woke up to contractions 4 minutes apart.  To keep this long birth story of my son short, we ended up with emergency c-section after 2 1/2 hrs of pushing.

When my husband and I decided we were ready to start trying for Baby 2, I knew right away I needed to discuss with my doctor what my chances at delivering VBAC would be.

Lucky for me Dr. W is absolutely awesome and also honest. He never got my hopes up that VBAC would be successful, but he did support me wanting to try. You see, Easton decided he wanted to arrive while Dr. W was still on vacation instead of waiting one more day for him to be back. So he couldn’t say if he thought it would be successful or not since he didn’t know how the first one went.

So the night before Vivienne decided it was time, contractions had begun at 4-5 minutes apart. I didn’t believe they were real because for weeks prior, bed time meant I was going to have braxton hicks. I would wake up each morning disappointed that I wasn’t truly in labor yet. I was very eager to meet our little princess so every sign that she might be coming, I’d get my hopes up.

I counted contractions for a little over an hour and decided to let Jake know that this could possibly be it but I wasn’t ready to go to the hospital yet so I told him to not worry and go to bed. I went to bed myself and got as much sleep as one could get while contracting every 4-5 minutes through the night. Come 7 am, I had had it. I was still contracting but still not believing it was time.

Of course my husband didn’t want to upset me by telling me he thought we should go to the hospital, he decided to call my dad and have him guilt me into calling the doctor. Of course I still waited another half hour before calling. I knew what they would say, and I wasn’t ready to go to the hospital. I was too afraid it would be a false alarm and we’d be sent home.

As I knew would happen, the doctor on call told me I should at least go get checked out just to be sure so I let my husband know we could start getting ready to go but to take his time. I knew he wouldn’t so after he showered, I took another nice long shower. I drug my feet gathering my bags and anything we needed. Jake wanted to have his parents come to our house to watch our son, but since I was so convinced we were going to be sent home I said no, and that he could go with us and should we need him picked up they can come get him from the hospital.

As we were driving, I told Jake to drive slow and asked if he could take every side street in our neighborhood before heading to the hospital. I wasn’t kidding, but he thought I was so he didn’t do that part.

We walked our way to labor and delivery, and got checked in. I, still convinced kept telling the nurse that I was probably getting sent home. Still, she had me change into a gown and started connecting me to the contraction monitor and heart monitor to see how things were going. Eventually the resident doctor came in.

Let me just say how scared I instantly became when he came in the room, I recognized him from Easton’s birth.

Why was I scared? With Easton, When we were checking in to labor and delivery, as he was walking up to the nurses station, they joked with him that he should stop going into the rooms of patients as each room he seemed to go in, the moms to be would end up with c-section! I was one of them!

So since my goal with Vivienne was to VBAC, I was a little frightened it wouldn’t be so successful.

I even mentioned to him that I recognized him but didn’t tell him why. He probably thought I was crazy.

He checked to see how far dilated I was and I was 4cm! I was staying to have a baby and I was so excited!

We arrived at the hospital 11:35 am. By 1 pm the doctor came and broke by water. I wanted to go natural but i’m a pansy so I asked for an epidural the moment the contractions became to painful. Had I waited another minute it probably would have been too late for one. Even though it only worked on my left side. So I still had to labor with the pain of the contractions and let me just say, only one side working made the contractions that much more painful and excruciating! The anesthesiologist came back in to add something to my epidural. I didn’t think it was working because I still had another 4 very painful contractions. Then I started to feel better. That moment the doctor came back in to see how far I had progressed and I was fully dilated and ready to push. Since I was VBAC they asked if I could hold off pushing because I had to wait for my doctor to arrive. I’m glad I did. The doctor who delivered Viv works in the same practice as mine and she was amazing! As she was getting ready to help me deliver Viv, I noticed V’s heart rate began to drop. I asked Dr. M if she was okay and THANK GOODNESS she lied to me and said everything was fine but we needed to start pushing. So after I pushed twice, she had me stop for a split second and I realized she was unwrapping the cord from around Viv’s neck. OMG I am so surprised I didn’t panic. Then again, It was all happening so fast I don’t think I had the time. After she did unwrap the cord, she told me to push again and that is when our little princess literally blasted her way into this world. I did it! I had a successful VBAC and I got to experience holding my baby the moment she was born and It was the best feeling in the world.



Photo Cred: Janell Raymond Photography





Share on: FacebookTwitterPinterest