When we bought our new house, we new there was a lot of work that needed to be done… cosmetically speaking.
The fireplace did not escape our list of changes.
We learned after the purchase of our house that it was used as a model. When I heard that, the first thing that came to mind was…where the heck are all the upgrades? Everything in this house was BUILDER GRADE….AKA CHEAP.
Our fireplace had this ugly floating mantel and no surround. The tile was surrounded by cheap trim. Eew even the tile was nasty!
I knew right away what I wanted to do with the fireplace. So once we got a few of our other projects out of the way, we finally started work on our fireplace.
We didn’t have a lot of money left in our budget to do anything extravagant right away so we decided to divide our project up into phases.
Phase 1- Tile
Phase 2- Build Mantle/Surround
Phase 3- Add Paneling above the Mantle
Phase 4- Built In Shelving on Each side of the fireplace.
We had our family session scheduled for today so my husband and father in-law spent our entire Saturday sanding, painting, and installing our new mantel while I watched.
Needless to say although not 100% complete, I am loving the way my vision is coming together!
Here are the before & afters!
I love demo!
Hubby forgot to pick up paint to touch up where we had to mend some holes so I used a bunch of photos as a quick fix way to hide the flaws until we can get to it.
I can’t wait till we have our paneling above the fireplace as well as our new built ins! It is going to look so amazing!
also you should be impressed… I hung that ceiling fan by myself while my husband was at work.
I ‘ll also post updates once we have our paneling and built ins in.